Wednesday, November 17, 2010

When I grow up...

Do you ever dream about what your future holds?
When I was a little girl I wanted to be so many things, I remember in grade school my third grade teacher once handed each of us a large piece of construction paper and said to write or draw "what we wanted to be when we grew-up" She said we could be anything we wanted, this assignment really excited me! She did ask for one request, that when we were done we had to choose a top three... and of course I couldn't decide because at that time I wanted to be everything and anything I could ever possibly be. I had so many dreams and aspirations, nothing could stop me. I was very determined to become everything! Sometimes I wish that little girl was still as determined as she was then...to be honest at times in my life I have settled and I have done what is conventional and logical in life and I have missed out on many opportunities. I know now that sometimes its okay to go outside of the box and do what really makes you happy and that sometimes God wants you to go after the impossible...

Now that I am older and becoming an adult I catch myself thinking "what do I want to be when I grow up?' I  have realized growing up and living life is much harder than my third grade teacher led me to believe...I've learned that sometimes we are going to hear "no" sometimes we are going to hear that it's "impossible" these words are going to make us want to give up and they will make us feel like nothing is ever going right. During these trials we have to fight a little harder for what we truly want and  punch through those barriers that are staring directly at us. At times things may be going just as planned and life may be grand and without any warning....it could all fall apart. These are times where we can't let discouragement get the best of us. When we are feeling vulnerable and weak we have to stay strong and have faith that God will prevail. You have to understand that things are going to happen that we can't explain but they happen for a purpose. Remember that some pieces in life aren't always the right pieces. Yes some can be fixed, many can even be replaced with better ones and some...are better off staying broken.

What many of us forget and must be reminded of frequently is that life never stops moving not through the good times nor through the bad it just keeps going. We to have to keep going and pushing towards those dreams we hold onto so firmly. This journey was never meant to be walked alone if we just take hold of God's hand he will lead us in the direction that is right for our lives. When one door closes that doesn't mean another one isn't close by to open. Once we stop worrying about what we don't have... we can start focusing on all the blessing we do have and allow our lives to move forward to greater opportunities.
We all have a purpose in life;  it's up to you to let go of fear and grab hold of what you want.

Eleanor Roosevelt said it best:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't remember how i stumbled on your blog, but that's very well said. :)

Chelsea said...

I think it's really important to pursue everything that you want to do! If not as a career, at least as a hobby!

Unknown said...

so inspiring. I always tell myself that you have to grab hold of what you want, but sometimes I don't think I'm ready to jump that far yet <3

xoxo